In some tests, you are asked to configure a VPN connection on your streaming device for testing purposes. In this article, we would like to show you an easy way to share your VPN connection from your macOS machine to your Apple TV.
The sad news is that most free VPN apps don't allow sharing the VPN traffic on macOS. However, a PrivateVPN subscription is an affordable solution – A 3-month subscription only costs $14.63 ($4.88 per month) and PrivateVPN offers a 30-day money-back guarantee.
First, you will need to create an account at https://privatevpn.com and activate your subscription. Once you have done this, follow a number of simple steps:
- On your MacBook, navigate to System Preferences > Network.
2. At the bottom left of the Network window, click the '+' button to create a new service.
3. Select or enter the following and press the Create button to submit the form:
- Interface: VPN
- VPN Type: L2TP over IPSEC
- Service Name: Enter service name of your choice
4. Enter the Server Address (a list of addresses can be found at https://privatevpn.com/serverlist), your PrivateVPN Account Name (the email address you're registered with), and click Authentication Settings.
5. In the Password field, enter your PrivateVPN password. In the Shared Secret field, type in privatvpn, and click OK to submit your information.
6. Go to Advanced Settings, select the Send all traffic over VPN connection checkbox, and press OK.
7. Click Apply at the bottom right and then the Connect button.
8. Now the status should change to Connected and you need to share the VPN traffic to your Apple TV.
9. In System Preferences, go to Sharing.
10. In the Sharing window, click on the Internet Sharing service in the box to the left. From Share your connection from, select the connection you've just created from the dropdown list and check Wi-Fi in the To computer using box below. Then click the Wi-Fi options... button.
11. In the pop-up window, select or enter the following and confirm via the OK button:
- Network Name: name of your choice
- Channel: leave unchanged
- Security: WPA2 Personal
- Password: your WiFi password
- Verify: your WiFi password again
12. Check the Internet Sharing box in the list of services and confirm sharing by clicking the Start button.
13. On your Apple TV, navigate to Settings > Network > Wi-Fi, select the WiFi connection you just created, enter your network password and press Continue.
You now share your VPN connection from your MacBook to your Apple TV via your WiFi network and can start testing.