The test environment that is supposed to be tested is given in the Access section on your test overview page.
When a website is under test, make sure to always stay on the correct domain. If the domain of the website changes while you navigate through the website, you are in fact testing a different website, even if its name or design is similar. Unless stated otherwise, this other website is not in scope and must not be tested.
When you navigate around and you land on a page that is on a subdomain, this can also mean that you left the test environment. Please ask the team leader via the test chat if the scope of the environment is unclear to you.
Testing Environment Setup
Customers can configure their testing environment in different ways. Therefore, note the following general scope limitations:
- Don't trigger orders. Stop testing before the end of the checkout process.
- Don't submit data or content, e.g. support requests, product reviews, or comments. Submitting data will otherwise require clean-ups by our customers or it will even be visible to real users of their products.
- Don't interact with our customers, e.g. via support chat, phone, or email.
Omit testing any of such functionalities unless stated differently in the test instructions.
Live environments are operational products. Companies can lose customers and revenue through bugs on live environments. Therefore, bugs on live websites or apps are normally more relevant than on websites that are not published yet.
Live apps are released products and available on the Apple App store (iOS apps) or the Google Play store (Android apps).
To access the given live website or live app under test, simply click on the link given in the Access section of your test overview page.
A staging environment is typically a (replicated) environment for testing purposes. While the domain of a Staging Site is usually the same as the domain of the live website, the staging site runs on a subdomain of the site. As they are usually not accessible to the general public, Staging Sites are either accessible through our test IO proxy or after entering credentials that will be provided in the test instructions of your test.
Staging products can still be in the development stage, which is why they can be different from working production environments.
Content bugs are often out of scope. Content – such as texts, pictures, and links – may be missing or replaced by placeholders. Functional bugs are most relevant here.
Functionality that requires a manual setup or change in order to work on a staging environments may not work and this is to be expected. If these changes were not implemented – intentionally or by accident –, and the functionality does not work because of it, these are not valid bugs. Examples:
- Email services: You may not receive newsletter, password reset, registration, and order confirmation emails.
- Facebook Social Login method: Staging environment URLs contain subdomains and unless the given subdomain was configured for the Facebook Login functionality, it will fail.
Similarly, links may point to the live website instead of the staging website (the subdomain is not included in the URL of such links). This is a setup problem and not a valid bug.
Beta apps are not released yet and need to be downloaded via the link provided in the Access section of the test instructions. Installing a beta app is not as easy as installing a live app:
- iOS beta apps can be distributed via a given Over-the-Air (OTA) link that you need to open on your iOS device, or via TestFlight.
- Android beta apps are usually distributed via APK files. Simply click on the given download link on your Android device to download the file to your phone or tablet directly. Locate the file in your Downloads directory, run it, and follow installation instructions. Alternatively, download the file to any device like your computer, transfer it to your Android device, and repeat the same steps.
If you run into any trouble installing an app, you can contact the team leader via the test chat.
- Proxy and VPN – suggested tools for proxy and VPN setup